|Artist||Pieter Van der Aa after Kip|
|Dimensions||Image 123 x 155 mm, Sheet 154 x 173 mm|
A view of Wrest Park from James Beverell's Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande.
First published in 1707, Beverell's Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande was an eight volume series depicting a variety of views from across the United Kingdom, including those of royal palaces, stately homes, cathedrals, and naval towns. Two volumes were dedicated solely to Oxford and Cambridge, consisting of plates of the colleges that were copied and reduced directly from David Loggan's Oxonia Illustrata of 1675. In total, Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande comprised of 241 engraved plates and maps after David Loggan, Johannes Kip, John Selzer, and others. Despite the publication ultimately being a collection of reduced copies of other engravers' work, Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande is a fine example of early eighteenth-century printmaking.
Pieter van der Aa (1659 – 1733) was a Dutch publisher, best known for preparing maps and atlases. Despite producing his own work, van der Aa is also known for his production of pirated editions of illustrated publications and foreign bestsellers. Beginning his career as a Latin trade publisher in Lieden in 1683, van der Aa's ambition was to one day become the most famous printer in the city. In 1715, van der Aa was appointed the head printer for Leiden and its university.
Johannes Kip (1653-1722) was a draughtsman and engraver, beginning his career in his native Amsterdam before moving to London at the end of the seventeenth century. He produced portraits, topographical views, and book illustrations, with his most important work being a series of attractive and informative bird's-eye views of English country seats. Kip originally collaborated on this project with fellow Dutch artist, Leonard Knyff, with Knyff creating the drawings, and Kip the etchings. As the project developed, however, Kip created his own drawings and etchings.
Wrest Park, with an early eighteenth-century garden spread over 92 acres, was likely to have originally been designed by George London and Henry Wise for Henry Grey, 1st Duke of Kent. Between 1758 and 1760, Lancelot "Capability" Brown modified the gardens, creating a more informal landscape style.