|Method||Copper engraved with original hand colour|
|Published||Published Jan.y 1st 1808, by R. Philips, Bridge Street, Blackfriars, London.|
|Dimensions||178 x 103 mm|
From Benjamin Pitts Capper's A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom (first published 1808).
H. Cooper was a map engraver based at 28 Chancery Lane, London. He is best known for producing maps for Abraham Rees' Cyclopaedia (1806-10); James Playfair in 1809; George Atkinson's Ceylon (1813) and J. Philips in 1823.
Richard Phillips (1767-1840) was an English schoolteacher, author and publisher. Phillips was born in London. Following some political difficulties in Leicester where he was a schoolteacher and bookseller, he returned to London, established premises in Paternoster Row, St. Paul's Churchyard, and founded The Monthly Magazine in 1796. Its editor was Dr. John Aikin, and early contributors included fellow radicals William Godwin and Thomas Holcroft. He built up a prominent fortune based on the speculative commission of newly revised textbooks and their publication. By 1807 he was in sufficient standing to serve as a Sheriff of London, at which time he was knighted on the occasion of presenting an address. Phillips overextended himself and was declared bankrupt in the Bank Panic. He died in Brighton and is buried in the western extension of St Nicholas' Churchyard.