|Method||Lithograph with two tint stones|
|Published||Day & Haghe Lithers. to The Queen [n.d. c. 1857 ]|
|Dimensions||Image 327 x 402 mm, Sheet 422 x 500 mm|
A scare separately published print of Loughborough Cemetery and cemetery chapels with the inscription:
is humbly dedicated to Edward Chatterton Middleton Esq. The Chairman of the Burial Board, and High Sheriff of the County of Leicester, by his obedient Servants Bellamy & Hardy Architects, Lincoln.
Loughborough Cemetery chapels are a pair of chapels built in the Gothic Revival style in 1857 and designed by Bellamy & Hardy Architects and built by John Sudbury of Loughborough.
The firm of Day & Haghe, was one of the most prominent lithographic companies of the nineteenth-century. They were also amongst the foremost pioneers in the evolution of chromolithography. The firm was established in 1823 by William Day, but did not trade under the moniker of Day & Haghe until the arrival of Louis Haghe in 1831. In 1838, Day & Haghe were appointed as Lithographers to the Queen. However, and perhaps owing to the fact that there was never a formal partnership between the two, Haghe left the firm in the 1850's to devote himself to watercolour painting. The firm continued as Day & Son under the guidance of William Day the younger (1823 - 1906) but, as a result of a scandal involving Lajos Kossuth, was forced into liquidation in 1867. Vincent Brookes bought the company in the same year, and would produce the caricatures for Gibson Bowles' Vanity Fair magazine, as well as the illustrations for Cassell's Poultry Book, amongst other commissions.
Condition: Some time toning to the sheet, small repaired tears to edge of sheet not affecting the image or inscription, some chips to bottom edge of sheet.