|Artist||Samuel and Nathaniel Buck|
|Dimensions||Image 143 x 347 mm, Plate 190 x 370 mm, Sheet 285 x 455 mm|
Inscribed beneath image with a dedication to Robert Salusbury Cotton, and a description of the abbey.
In 1727, Samuel Buck and his brother Nathaniel commenced sketching and engraving a series of architectural remains of England and Wales. The series included 83 large prospects of the 70 principal towns in England and Wales. It took the Buck brothers 28 years to complete their venture and during this time some changes to their style occured. The brothers began to use a less formal style in their later engravings by including figures and more subtle landscapes in the foreground. In 1774, Robert Sayer obtained the plates, added page numbers to them and published them as Buck's Antiquities.