|Artist||Samuel and Nathaniel Buck|
|Published||S & N Buck delin. et Sculpt. 1729|
|Dimensions||Image 145 x 350 mm, Plate 195 x 373 mm, Sheet 246 x 415 mm|
A view of Oxford Castle from the north, from the famous series of Buck's Antiquities. As well as the view of the castle mount, tower, and buildings, the plate also includes a lengthy description of the Castle's history from William the Conqueror, and well as its then-current usage as the city's jail. The plate is dedicated to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church College, the crest of which appears in the centre of the inscription space.
Samuel Buck (1696-1779) and Nathaniel Buck (fl. 1727-1774) were British engravers and publishers, best known for their famous series of English and Welsh views. In 1727, the brothers commenced sketching and engraving a series on the architectural remains of England and Wales. This series included 83 large prospects of the 70 principal towns in England and Wales. It took the Buck brothers 28 years to complete their venture and during this time changes to their style occurred. The brothers began to use a less formal style in their later engravings by including figures in the foreground and using more subtle landscapes in the foreground. In 1774, Robert Sayer obtained the plates, added page numbers to them and published them as Buck's Antiquities.
Condition: Small crease to top right corner of plate.