|Method||Lithograph with tint stone|
|Published||G. Gilbert Scott & W. B. Moffatt Archts. Spring Gardens 1840. Published May 3rd 1843 by James Wyatt & Son, Oxford_ Messrs. Ackermann & Co. 96 Strand & Messrs. Graves & Warmsley 6 Pall Mall, London.|
|Dimensions||Image 440 x 305 mm, Sheet 567 x 388 mm|
A rare , large-scale, lithographic view of the Martyrs' Memorial on St. Giles, commemorating Latimer, Ridley, and Cranmer, who were burned at the stake in Broad Street. The monument was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott and erected in 1841. Groups of figures can be seen on the street surrounding the memorial, the church of St. Mary Magdalen behind with a somewhat fancifully ornate tower, and the buildings of Balliol College to the left.
Louis Haghe (1806-1885) was part of the firm of Day & Haghe, which was one of the most prominent lithographic companies of the nineteenth-century. They were also amongst the foremost pioneers in the evolution of chromolithography. The firm was established in 1823 by William Day, but did not trade under the moniker of Day & Haghe until the arrival of Louis Haghe in 1831. In 1838, Day & Haghe were appointed as Lithographers to the Queen. However, and perhaps owing to the fact that there was never a formal partnership between the two, Haghe left the firm in the 1850's to devote himself to watercolour painting. The firm continued as Day & Son under the guidance of William Day the younger (1823 - 1906) but, as a result of a scandal involving Lajos Kossuth, was forced into liquidation in 1867. Vincent Brookes bought the company in the same year, and would produce the caricatures for Gibson Bowles' Vanity Fair magazine, as well as the illustrations for Cassell's Poultry Book, amongst other commissions.
Condition: Toning and foxing to sheet edges. Small creases and tears to sheet edges.