|Method||Steel engraving with hand colouring|
|Artist||John Le Keux after J. A. Bell|
|Published||[London: Published Octr. 1st 1841, by Tilt & Bogue, Fleet Street.]|
|Dimensions||Image 95 x 139 mm, Plate 145 x 227 mm, Sheet 185 x 267 mm|
View of the Cambridge Castle, shortly before it would be demolished. From Le Keux's Memorials of Cambridge, A series of views of the Colleges, Halls, and Public Buildings, engraved by J. Le Keux; with historical and descriptive accounts by Thomas Wright and H. Longueville (first published in London in 1841).
John Le Keux (1783-1846) was an engraver who was involved in several topographical books including the companion work Memorials of Oxford.
Jonathan Anderson Bell was born in Glasgow c.1808 and educated at Edinburgh University. He spent time in Rome, as an art student where he became an accomplished topographical draughtsman and water colourist.
For around 27 years Bell practised as an architect in Edinburgh, his designs included country houses, such as Beeslack for Charles Cowan and the Scottish baronial Victoria Buildings in Glasgow for Archibald Orr Ewing. He was a member of the Institute of Scottish Architects and in 1839 he was appointed secretary to the Royal Association for the Promotion of the Fine Arts in Scotland, a position he retained it until his death.
Bell died on 28 February 1865.
Condition: Overall time toning, especially to the outer margins.