|Artist||William M. Fellows after Canaletti|
|Published||London. Published as the Act directs 1 Feb.y 1809, by John Thomas Smith, N.4, Polygon, Somers Town|
|Dimensions||Image 195 x 284 mm, Plate 242 x 292 mm, 274 x 323 mm|
From a series entitled 'Sixty-Two Additional Plates To Smith's Antiquities Of Westminster,' by John Thomas Smith, a noted antiquarian, who held the position of the keeper of prints and drawings at the British Museum for the majority of his life. It was a supplementary edition to Smith's 'Antiquities Of The City Of Westminster,' which was published two years prior in 1807. The series was begun with the intention of documenting the fourteenth-century murals, sculptures, and stained glass discovered during the expansion of the House of Commons. The work evolved, however, into an ambitious and detailed survey depicting the various buildings of the Palace of Westminster, and is an invaluable pictorial record of the area before the great fire of 1834.
Inscription Content: Inscription beneath title states 'Engraved from a Drawing by Canaletti, liberally communicated to the Publisher for the enrichment of this Work by George Hibbert, Esq. F.A.S.'
Condition: Trimmed just outside of platemark, but there is a small margin. Contains small amount of surface dirt, but otherwise good.