|Published||Printed and Published by the Director General at the Ordnance Survey Office, Southampton, 1912.|
|Dimensions||640 x 965 mm|
An Ordnance Survey map depicting part of Central Oxford, centred on part of the Woodstock Road from Farndon Road to Frenchay Road, and Banbury Road from Belbroughton Road to Norham Road, stretching to boat houses and bathing places by the River Cherwell. This map measures 25.5 x 38 inches, and uses a scale of 1:1250 inches.
Inscription to bottom left: "Enlarged from the edition of 1898. Partially Revised in 1911."
Ordnance Survey or "OS" is the national mapping agency of Great Britain. The agency provides the most recent and accurate geographic data of Great Britain to the government, businesses and individuals. It was officially founded in 1791, but has even earlier roots. The government first ordered the department of Defence to map the Scottish Highlands after a rebellion took place there in 1745. When the French Revolution started, a survey of the English south coast was ordered. These first surveys were meant to support strategic military planning. William Roy (1726 - 1790), an engineer who worked for the government on these first surveys, became convinced that accurate mapping of Great Britain in its entirety was needed. His vision greatly influenced the foundation of the Ordnance Survey. Between 1842 and 1893, the entire country was surveyed, and would be revised every twenty years.
During the 1850's, there was a debate about the most efficient scale to use for ordnance maps, better known as the "Battle of the Scales". The scale of 25 inches to the mile became the standard scale used to map urban as well as rural areas from 1855 onwards, and is still used today. The less detailed scale of six inches to the mile were used only for some uncultivated rural areas, moorlands or mountainous areas.
Ex. Col.: Oxford City Council
Condition: Laid to linen sheet with green edge binding. Overall surface dirt built-up. Slight overall creasing. Touched with blue hand colouring to accentuate the river.