|Artist||George Robert Lewis after Frederick Nash|
|Published||Oxford, Pub: by F. Trash. [c.1840]|
|Dimensions||Image 270 x 207 mm, Sheet 297 x 230 mm|
An unusual restrike of the aquatint of Magdalen Tower originally included in Rudolph Ackermann's A History of the University of Oxford, its Colleges, Halls and Public Buildings, but in this instance issued black and white and published by Oxford stationer Frederick Trash . The tower can be seen at the centre of the image, with Magdalen bridge to the left. A horse and carriage can be seen on the bridge and a figure punting can be seen appearing from beneath the bridge.
Frederick Nash (1782-1856) was an English painter and draftsman, who specialised in watercolour landscapes and architectural drawings. He studied under Thomas Malton, enrolled at the Royal Academy of Arts and worked with antiquarians like John Britton and Wedlake Brayley.
George Robert Lewis (1782-1871) was an English portrait and landscape painter. He was the younger brother of the artist Frederick Christian Lewis and the bookbinder Charles Lewis.
Frederick Trash was an Oxford stationer and publisher based at 10 High Street, Oxford, in the middle of the 19th century.
Condition: Tipped to album page. Some surface dirt to sheet and rubbing to left of image. Small tear to right hand margin.