|Artist||James Merigot after Joshua Bryant|
|Published||Pub. June 1st 1805 by Longman & Co., Paternoster Row|
|Dimensions||Image 161 x 245 mm, Sheet 225 x 285 mm|
A view of the library at the Thornton Royal estate in Yorkshire. The mansion was built in 1786 by the Duke of York, incorporating an rebuilding the previous house built in 1721 by Richard Arundel. The Duke of York and Prince of Wales occupied the mansion until 1789, when it was sold to Colonel Thornton, and renamed "Thornville Royal". The historic building still exists today, but has been renovated and mostly rebuilt again in 1851 by the new owner, Charles Philip, Lord of Stourton, and is now known as the "Allerton Park Mansion".
James Merigot (fl. 1772-1816) was a printmaker from Paris. According to the title page of 'Promenade ou Itinéraire des jardins d'Ermenonville' (1788), he was the son of a bookseller who was active at the boulevard Saint-Martin in Paris. Merigot taught drawing, specialised in 'maniere de lavis' and later aquatint. Around 1791 he emigrated to London, where he continued as a drawing teacher and established himself as a publisher of aquatints.
Joshua Bryant (fl. 1798-1823) was a British painter, who worked in London, while also travelling to Wales and Paris. Around 1810, he moved to Guyana, where he painted scenes of life on the British plantations and commented on the slave rising in 1823.
Condition: Trimmed within the plate mark. Slight overall time toning.