|Artist||James McArdell after James Williams|
|Published||London, c. 1740-1753|
|Dimensions||Image 307 x 249 mm, Sheet 348 x 248 mm|
A half length portrait of James Gibbs seated directed to left, at a table, looking towards the viewer, right arm holding compasses over a diagram labelled 'A Plan of the Radcliffe Library', pointing at it with left hand, the left elbow resting on a second plan of the building, beside a set-square, wearing a lustrous coat over an embroidered waistcoat, with a white cravat and wig; after William; state before any lettering on plan.
Chaloner Smith 88, Goodwin - McArdell 147, O'Donoghue 6
James Gibbs (1682 - 1754) was a British architect. Born in Aberdeen, Gibbs travelled extensively as a young man. In Italy he trained as an architect under Carlo Fontana. In London, he was responsible for the church of St. Mary-le-Strand, and the rebuilding of St. Martin-in-the-Fields. In Oxford, he was responsible for the Radcliffe Camera; the completion of the interior of Codrington Library, All Souls; and a new screen in the Hall of St John's. He was elected a member of the Society of Antiquaries in London in 1726 and fellow of the Royal Society in 1729. He published 'A Book of Architecture' (1728); 'Rules for Drawings the Several Parts of Architecture' (1732); and 'Biblioteca Radcliviana' (1747).
Condition: Missing lower right corner, some repaired cracks in paper, trimmed within plate, some old paper on verso.