|Artist||Robert Hills [Hills and Saunders]|
|Published||Hills & Saunders, Oxford, c.1865.|
|Dimensions||Image 77 x 71 mm each mounted to a card 83 x 173 mm|
A stereoview of the interior of Exeter College Chapel with Hills & Saunders, Oxford, blindstamp on forn Blue label n verso that reads Exeter College, Oxford. A.D. 1314. Dated 1865 in ink
Hills and Saunders is one of the longest- established names in photography and is in operation today. Robert Hills and his brother-in-law Henry Saunders were hairdressers and wig makers in Oxford, but quickly realized the potential photography had as a new form of artistic expression and commercial venture. They opened their first studio in Harrow-On-The- Hill in 1852. Over the years they opened studios in Oxford, Cambridge, Harrow, Eton, Sandhurst, Aldershot and Rugby. Robert Hills formally established his first commercial photographic premises in Oxford at 16 Cornmarket Street in 1856, Oxford, and was trading as Hills & Saunders from at least 1861. They became one of the key photographers of Victorian society and several of their images are on display in the National Portrait Gallery. Robert Hills and John Henry Saunders were appointed as photographers to Edward Prince of Wales in 1863 while he was at Oxford University shortly followed by the opening of their Oxford Photographic Gallery in Eton in around 1863. From then on their business flourished, and they were in constant demand when the Court was in residence at Windsor, proudly receiving their first Royal Warrant from HM Queen Victoria in 1867.
This stereoview is blindstamped Hills Photographer Oxford, placing the date of this stereoview between 1856-1861.