Insularum Moluccarum Nova descriptio

Method Copper engraved with hand colour
Artist Jansson, Jan
Published Amstelodami, Apud Ioannem Ianßonium. [Amsterdam, c.1640]
Dimensions 380 x 495 mm
Notes A large and decorative map of the Moluccas, the modern day northern Maluku islands of Indonesia, from a French edition of Jansson's Atlas Novus. The islands shown are those off the western coast of the larger island of Gilolo (Halmahera), and include Ternate, Tidore, Mare, Moti, Makian, and Bacan. All are presented in full wash colour, with the Dutch forts picked out in red. The islands formed a critical part of the Dutch spice trade in the seventeenth century. The seas surrounding the archipelago are filled with sailing vessels of both local and European type, sea monsters, and two large compass roses. The title is enclosed in a large baroque cartouche supported by sea monsters, and a pair of Moluccans stand by a scale in German and Gallic miles.

Johannes Janssonius (1588 - 1664) was a famed cartographer and print publisher. More commonly known as Jan Jansson, he was born in Arnhem where his father, Jan Janszoon the Elder, was a bookseller and publisher. In 1612 he married the daughter of the cartographer and publisher Jodocus Hondius, and then set up in business in Amsterdam as a book publisher. In 1616 he published his first maps of France and Italy and from then onwards, produced a very large number of maps which went some way to rival those of the Blaeu family, who held a virtual monopoly over the industry. From about 1630 to 1638 he was in partnership with his brother-in-law, Henricus Hondius, issuing further editions of the Mercator/Hondius atlases to which his name was added. On the death of Hondius he took over the business, expanding the atlas still further, until eventually he published an eleven volume Atlas Major on a scale similar to Johannes Blaeu's magnum opus. After Jansson's death, his heirs published a number of maps in the Atlas Contractus of 1666, and, later still, many of the plates of his British maps were acquired by Pieter Schenk and Gerard Valck, who published them again in 1683 as separate maps.

Condition: Central vertical fold, as issued, repaired at base. Minor creasing and time toning to edges of sheet. Repaired tears to left side of map and right margin. French text on verso.
Framing unmounted
Price £475.00
Stock ID 48470

required