|Lithograph on chine collé
|Harry A. Adnitt
|Image 226 x 154 mm, Plate 260 x 188 mm, Sheet 368 x 299 mm
Signed in pencil by the artist in bottom left of plate.
A view of Old Blundell's in Tiverton, Devon, the main building of Blundell's School until 1882. The building's tower is framed by an arch in the wall, overgrown with ivy and bearing an inscription giving the school's foundation date of AD 1604. The school was established through money given in the will of Peter Blundell, one of the wealthiest merchants of the Elizabethan era. The school has traditional links with Balliol College at Oxford and Sidney Sussex at Cambridge. The Old Blundell Building is now a Grade-1 Heritage listed structure under the care of the National Trust.
Harry A. Adnitt (fl. 1890s) is known only for a series of lithographs of views of British schools.
Condition: Slight time-toning and foxing to margins, not affecting image.