|Published||[London, c. 1660-1670]|
|Dimensions||Image and Plate 252 x 188 mm, Sheet 332 x 215 mm|
Depiction of the east side of Durham Cathedral, with coat of arms in upper left.
Plate first published in Daniel King's 'The Cathedrall and Conventuall Churches of England and Wales. Orthographically delineated by D. K. anno MDCLVI' (1656).
Most of King's images were later reproduced by Wenceslaus Hollar in William Dugdale's 'Monasticon Anglicanum or The History of the Ancient Abbies, and Other Monasteries, Hospitals, Cathedral and Collegiate Churches, in England and Wales With Divers French, Irish and Scotch Monasteries Formerly Relating to England.' This work was published between the years of 1655 and 1673; an English abridgement was made available in 1718, and an enlarged six volume edition came out in fifty-four parts between 1st June 1813 and 1830.
Daniel King (c. 1616-1661) was a topographical etcher from Chester. He became a member of the Chester Painter's Company in 1639, but from 1643 spend his time between London and Chester. He worked with Sir William Dugdale in the 1650's, but eventually fell out with him. He described King as 'a most ignorant silly fellow' and later Anthony reported King was robbed by his wife and died of heartbreak.
Condition: Late impression. Frayed edge to right.