|Artist||Dale after F. Nash|
|Published||London Published 27th September 1820, by Robert Wilkinson, 125 Fenchurch Street.|
|Dimensions||Image 209 x 274 mm, Plate 253 x 303 mm, Sheet 267 x 339 mm|
From London Illustrata.
Arms of the priory and abbey of Bermondsey below image.
Bermondsey is one of the oldest parts of Southwark a hub for trade and known as 'London Larder' due to the quantity of food passing through the docks.
It was believed that a Benedictine monastery was here during the Saxon period before the Abbey. In 1338 the Abbey Church was built and officially regarded as an Abbey in 1399 by Pope Boniface IX.
Today Bermondsey Square now sits on the original Bermondsey Abbey site. It was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1537.
Sir Thomas Pope the founder of Trinity College Oxford acquired the site and built a mansion for himself after breaking the abbey buildings.
Two royal Queens died in the Abbey Queen Catherine in 1437 and Elizabeth Woodville in 1492 both were under house arrest after their fortunes were in decline.