|Dimensions||Image 288 x 156 mm|
The Carfax Conduit was a water conduit that supplied the city of Oxford with water from 1617 until 1787. The conduit ran in an underground lead pipe from a spring near North Hinksey to a building at Carfax in the centre of Oxford. The system was built by Otto Nicholson, a London lawyer, to supply the citizens of Oxford with clean water. It replaced a system built by Osney Abbey between 1205 and 1221 that had fallen into disrepair. By 1787 the elaborate structure had become an obstacle to traffic and was removed and replaced by a smaller cistern. The original structure was given to the Earl Harcourt, who had it re-erected in the grounds of his home, Nuneham House, where it remains to this day.
Condition: Horizontal creasing across sheet. Toning to sheet.