|Watercolour and drawing
|Image 306 x 230 mm, Sheet 330 x 249 mm
A delicate watercolour and sketch study of various architectural elevations by John Buckler. The watercolour shows at the back from the left; the end of the Lady Chapel and the central tower of York Minster, Durham Cathedral, Salisbury Cathedral and the spire of Chichester Cathedral. In the centre; Winchester Cathedral and Cantebury Cathedral. In the foreground from the left; Peterborough Cathedral, Tewkesbury Cathedral and Iffley Church. Within the frames in the courtyard are illustrations of King's College Chapel, St. George's Chapel at Windsor, and the tower at Magdalen College.
The drawing shows Iffley Church after 1823, when the roof was raised after being lowered in the 17th century, but before it was raised further in 1844 and before John Chessell Buckler, John Buckler's son, installed a restored rose window in 1856-7.
John Buckler (1770 –1851) was an outstanding architectural draughtsman and Bailiff for Magdalen College's Southwark Estate for sixty years, whose views in Oxford, especially Magdalen College, rank amongst the finest ever produced.
Formerly with Abbott and Holder.