|Published||Published in colour by the Director General, Ordnance Survey, at the Ordnance Survey Office, Southampton, 1933. Reprinted 1949.|
|Dimensions||342 x 495 mm|
A geological map depicting East Oxfordshire from Chilton and Grafton to Oxford city centre, depicting Bampton, Stanton Harcourt, Stonesfield, Kidlington, Wolvercote, Port Meadow and parts of the surrounding areas and the river Thames.
Ordnance Survey or "OS" is the national mapping agency of Great Britain. The agency provides the most recent and accurate geographic data of Great Britain to the government, businesses and individuals. It was officially founded in 1791, but has even earlier roots. The government first ordered the department of Defence to map the Scottish Highlands after a rebellion took place there in 1745. When the French Revolution started, a survey of the English south coast was ordered. These first surveys were meant to support strategic military planning. William Roy (1726 - 1790), an engineer who worked for the government on these first surveys, became convinced that accurate mapping of Great Britain in its entirety was needed. His vision greatly influenced the foundation of the Ordnance Survey.
Ex. coll. University College Geological Department of Swansea.
Condition: Minor overall time toning. Slight creasing to edges of the sheet. Collection stamp to top centre of sheet, not affecting image. The number "236" written in blue pen to bottom right corner.