|Artist||William M. Fellows after Canaletti|
|Published||London. Published as the Act directs 11. Jan.y 1809, by John Thomas Smith, N.4, Polygon, Somers Town|
|Dimensions||Image 192 x 288 mm, Plate 252 x 306 mm, 272 x 322 mm|
From a series entitled 'Sixty-Two Additional Plates To Smith's Antiquities Of Westminster,' by John Thomas Smith, a noted antiquarian, who held the position of the keeper of prints and drawings at the British Museum for the majority of his life. It was a supplementary edition to Smith's 'Antiquities Of The City Of Westminster,' which was published two years prior in 1807. The series was begun with the intention of documenting the fourteenth-century murals, sculptures, and stained glass discovered during the expansion of the House of Commons. The work evolved, however, into an ambitious and detailed survey depicting the various buildings of the Palace of Westminster, and is an invaluable pictorial record of the area before the great fire of 1834.
Inscription Content: Inscription beneath title states 'From a Picture in the Collection of The Hon.ble Percy Wyndham, F.A.S. Who in the most liberal manner permitted this Copy to be made for the benefit of the Publisher.'
Condition: Trimmed just outside of platemark, but there is a small margin. Contains small amount of surface dirt, but otherwise good.