|Method||Copper engraving with hand colouring|
|Dimensions||Image 190 x 240 mm, Plate 195 x 245 mm, Sheet|
An atmospheric and somewhat romantic seventeenth century view of Stonehenge, from Jan Jansson's atlas of the British Isles. The stones are shown still encircled by a low precinct wall, while a trio of soldiers armed with halberds stands in the open space at the centre of the monument. In the bottom left corner of the plate, outside the wall, another trio excavate a number of graves, the skull and long bones from one resting on the grass nearby. The view was originally engraved to accompany Jansonn's map of the county of Wiltshire, and features as part of his description of the county.
Johannes Janssonius, (1588 - 1664) was a famed cartographer and print publisher. More commonly known as Jan Jansson, he was born in Arnhem where his father, Jan Janszoon the Elder, was a bookseller and publisher. In 1612 he married the daughter of the cartographer and publisher Jodocus Hondius, and then set up in business in Amsterdam as a book publisher. In 1616 he published his first maps of France and Italy and from then onwards, produced a very large number of maps which went some way to rival those of the Blaeu family, who held a virtual monopoly over the industry. From about 1630 to 1638 he was in partnership with his brother-in-law, Henricus Hondius, issuing further editions of the Mercator/Hondius atlases to which his name was added. On the death of Hondius he took over the business, expanding the atlas still further, until eventually he published an eleven volume Atlas Major on a scale similar to Johannes Blaeu's magnum opus. After Jansson's death, his heirs published a number of maps in the Atlas Contractus of 1666, and, later still, many of the plates of his British maps were acquired by Pieter Schenk and Gerard Valck, who published them again in 1683 as separate maps.
Condition: On full sheet with French text below.