|Artist||Samuel and Nathaniel Buck|
|Published||Saml. and Nathl. Buck del. et sculp. Publish'd according to Act of Parliament March 25th 1737.|
|Dimensions||Image 190 x 355 mm, Plate 195 x 372 mm, Sheet 284 x 458 mm.|
From Views of Ruins of Castles & Abbeys in England (1726-1739). Published on hand made laid watermarked paper.
In 1727, Samuel Buck and his brother Nathaniel commenced sketching and engraving a series of architectural remains of England and Wales. This series included 83 large prospects of the 70 principal towns in England and Wales. It took the Buck brothers 28 years to complete their venture and during this time some changes to their style occured. The brothers began to use a less formal style in their later engravings by including figures more subtle landscapes in the foreground. In 1774, Robert Sayer obtained the plates, added page numbers to them and published them as Buck's Antiquities.