|Method||Lithograph with original hand colour|
|Artist||Ravenstein, Ernst Georg|
|Published||Compiled and Drawn by E.G. Ravenstein, F.R.G.S. &c. London: Published by James Reynolds, 174 Strand |
|Dimensions||Two panels 1315 x 160 mm each|
A folding map that follows the Thames from its source to London, issued as a practical guide for boaters or anglers on the river. The course of the river is depicted with distances from London Bridge noted, and indications of roads, towns, weirs, locks, toll paths, railroads, inns, farms, and much else along the way. Also included are notes on the various towns, docking places, ferries, and so forth, making this a guide that would have well prepared any boatman on the Thames in the 1860s. The map was revised and republished many times, from its first appearance in 1861 until at least as late as the Great War.
This is the first edition of this popular map, featuring 'New Lock and East Weir' at Grafton Common, which was demolished in 1869 and removed from later printings.
Ernst Georg Ravenstein (1834-1913) was an Anglo-German cartographer and demographer, noted for his pioneering work on population and migration theory. Born in Frankfurt-am-Main, he became a naturalized British citizen, spending most of his working life in England, including as a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, which awarded him the inaugural Victoria Gold Medal for his services to geography.
Condition: Segmented and laid to linen, as issued. Wear and splitting to folds. Old pencil annotations. Minor time toning. Divided into two panels and framed in black box frames.