|Artist||Francis Vivares after Joseph Baker|
|Published||Publish'd according to Act of Parliament Sep:ber 29, 1750.|
|Dimensions||Image 520 x 705 mm, Sheet 592 x 705 mm|
Inscripton beneath title reads: This Magnificent Fabrick was first founded by Bishop Remigius, upon the Removal of the Episcopal Chair from Dorchester to Lincoln, Ao.1086 It was burnt down about 38 Years / afterwards, in the time of Bishop Alexander, who rebuilt it with an arched Roof of Stone. That beautiful Part, from the upper Transept to the East End, was added by Saint Hugh the / Bergundian, who also built the Chapter House. - The Length from East to West within the Walls, is 483 Feet The great Transept from North to South is 223 Feet.
Francis Vivares (1709 - 1780) was a French engraver and publisher. Born in S. Jean de Bruel de Rouergue, he moved to Geneva with his parents in 1711; then at age eighteen to London in 1727. His earliest dated print is from 1738. One of the main links between the French and British print trades, Vivares had a very high reputation in France, where he was regarded as one of the greatest landscape engravers, and a key teacher of the British school of line-engraving.
Joseph Baker was a British architecural draughtsman active in York in the 1750s.
Condition: Trimmed to plate mark. Wormholes throughout upper half of image, and to lower edge of sheet. Overall creasing to sheet. Staining to upper left corner of sheet.