|Method||Aquatint with hand colouring|
|Artist||Frederick James Havell after George Havell|
|Published||Published Jany. 1.1831, by George Havell, Yarnton near Oxford. [Later restrike]|
|Dimensions||Image 263 x 425 mm, Plate 325 x 480 mm, Sheet 480 x 610 mm|
Inscription beneath title reads: Dedicated by permission to the Honorary Members of the Original Benevolent Whip Club, / by their obliged and humble servant George Havell.
The Star was a fifteenth-century coaching inn situated at 52 Cornmarket, Oxford. The front was replaced with a symmetrical façade in 1783. Recorded innkeepers include Mrs Dupois (1823), Richard Staning (1830-1835), and Samuel Young Griffith (1839-1861). In 1863 the Star was acquired by the Oxford Hotel Company and renamed the Clarendon. The site is presently occupied by the Clarendon Centre.
Frederick James Havell (1801-1840) was an English photographer and steel and mezzotint engraver. Born in Reading, he was the brother of the landscape painter William Havell. He worked mostly in London.
George Havell (1799-c.1839) was an English painter. Born in Reading, he traveled and painted in India. He married Mary Ann Hale in 1825.