|Method||Steel engraved with original hand colour|
|Artist||Walker, John and Charles|
|Published||London Charles Knight & Co. 22 Ludgate Street. [c. 1835]|
|Dimensions||301 x 385 mm|
A map of the West Indies, published under the Superintendence of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. With a key detailing which islands were owned by Britain, France, Spain, Holland, Sweden and Denmark.
'The Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge' (SDUK), founded in 1826 and lasting only until 1848, was a Whiggish London organisation that published inexpensive texts intended to adapt scientific and similarly high-minded material for the rapidly expanding reading public. The Society's main purpose was to encourage universal literacy by publishing numbers of books of good quality that would be affordable to all. It was established mainly at the instigation of Lord Brougham with the objects of publishing information to people who were unable to obtain formal teaching, or who preferred self-education. Over 200 maps and plans were produced, first sold as part works on subscription and from 1844 in a variety of bound atlases.
John Walker (fl. 1813-1873) and Charles Walker (1799-1872) were British cartographers, geographers, and map engravers, and the sons of the engraver and Admiralty hydrographer, John Walker (fl. 1783-1831). John, the better known of the two sons, was a founding member of the Royal Geographic Society. A third brother, Thomas (fl. 1805-1865), succeeded his father as a hydrographer to the Admiralty.
Condition: Time toning, surface staining and some margin tears.