|Method||Copper engraved with hand colour|
|Published||London: Published May 1.1812 by J. Cary Engraver No.181 Strand|
|Dimensions||130 x 90 mm|
A finely engraved miniature county map of Surrey, from Cary's 'Traveller's Companion'. The maps in this publication were based on surveys of the Turnpike Roads of England and Wales, which Cary started from the 1790's onwards.
John Cary (1755-1835) was an English cartographer, engraver, globe maker and publisher, often working with his brothers George and Francis. In 1770, he was apprenticed to William Palmer, and became surveyor of roads to the general post office around 1794. He is best known for his English county atlases, particularly Cary's New and Correct English Atlas, published in 1787-1789, and the miniature Traveller's Companion. He also engraved the plates for Robert Gough's edition of Camden's Britannia, which was published in 1806.
Condition: Trimmed within plate mark. Overall time toning. Binding holes to the right margin.