|Artist||Emery Walker after Edmund Hort New|
|Published||Published by Edmund Hort New: 17 Worcester Place, Oxford: AD 1920. Photo-engraved by Emery Walker|
|Dimensions||Image 340 x 300 mm, Plate 380 x 323 mm, Sheet 465 x 422 mm|
An elevated view of the quad and frontage of 'Teddy Hall' from Queens Lane by Edmund Hort New. The arms and crests of the University, Abbey of Osney, and Queens College feature at the top of the image.
Inscription below image reads: 'St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, said to have been founded about AD 1220 by St. Edmund Rich of Abingdon, Archbishop of Canterbury 1234-40. The Hall was acquired by Osney Abbey AD 1269 & was ultimately given to The Queen's College AD 1557, with which it is still closely connected.'
Edmund Hort New (1871-1931), known as EH New, was an English artist and illustrator. He was born in Evesham, the son of an important lawyer, and attended the Birmingham Municipal School of Art. He began painting landscape and later devoted himself to illustration. Early in his career he worked with Ruskin and other associated Arts and Crafts artists. He later went on to work for William Morris's Kelmscott Press. The influence of these experiences is evident in his prints, with their decorative borders, armourials, and elegant typefaces.
In 1905, Edmund Hort New moved to Oxford, and over a period of years, produced a series of drawings of the Oxford Colleges, based on David Loggan's 1675 aerial perspectives. New took Loggan's format and enriched his prints with many fine details of and about the colleges. The series was printed and published by Emery Walker, who marketed them appropriately as 'New Loggan Prints.' New's college views were attractive to collectors because of their high level of detail, and were in most cases a far closer representation of the colleges than the original Loggan views. These prints were made through photogravure, a relatively new process at the time. For a photogravure, the print was made by transferring a photo to a copper plate and then printing from it. With the EH New prints, a contact print of New's pen and ink drawing was made and the large negative attached to a plate which was then exposed in an acid bath, the acid only biting where the negative was clear, creating an engraved plate of the drawing.
Emery Walker (1851 - 1933) was a British master-printer, typographer and engraver. He was one of the leading figures in the Arts and Crafts Movement, and the revival of engraving. Walker helped to found the Kelmscott Press and was later a partner of Cobden-Sanderson in the Doves Press, where he was responsible for much of the successful work produced.
Condition: Minor time toning from old framing to margins. Hammer and anvil watermark.