|Artist||Henry Le Keux after Frederick Mackenzie|
|Published||Published by J. Parker Oxford, November 1. 1836|
|Dimensions||Image 209 x 325 mm, Sheet 365 x 479 mm|
The Oxford Almanack for 1837, depicting the former St Clement's Church, which was demolished in 1829, following the completion of the present St Clement's Church in 1828. The scene is a lively one. A group of boys play with a dog near the churchyard, a drover rides a horse behind a small herd of sheep and cows, and a group of scholars stand on the opposite side of the street. In the distance, the tower of Magdalen College can be seen above the trees.
Henry Le Keux (1787-1868) was a British printmaker and engraver. He was born in Bocking, Essex, but was based in London for most of his working life. He was the brother of John Le Keux who was the engraver of the Memorials of Oxford. Henry also worked on topographical books such as John Britton's Architectural Antiquities of Great Britain.
Frederick Mackenzie (1787 - 1854) was a British water-colour painter and architectural draughtsman who made drawings for Ackermann's University of Oxford and Public Schools, and twenty-four of the Oxford Almanacks between 1821-1853.
Condition: Printed on india laid paper. Trimmed within plate with calendar missing. Slight damage to sheet at upper left corner. Small tear to lower left of the sheet, not affecting image. Overall time toning.