|Artist||William Radclyffe after Frederick Mackenzie|
|Published||Published by J. Parker, Oxford, Novr 1st 1850|
|Dimensions||Image 231 x 350, Plate 320 x 430, Sheet 396 x 597 mm|
A view of St Alban Hall, now known as St Alban's Quad. The hall was a medieval student residence that survived as an independent Hall of the University until 1882, when it was incorporated with Merton College. The St Alban Hall buildings were reconstructed by Basil Champneys in 1905-1910.
William Radclyffe (1783 – 1855) was an English engraver and painter. Rather than move to London like his contemporaries Radclyffe stayed in his native Birmingham and set up as an engraver and copperplate printer. Radclyffe became well known as an engraver of landscapes, making prints after David Cox, J. M. W. Turner and Peter De Wint and illustrating numerous works of travel literature.
Frederick Mackenzie (1787-1854) was a watercolour painter and architectural draughtsman who made drawings for Ackermann's University of Oxford and Public Schools, and twenty-four of the Oxford Almanacks between 1821-1853.
Condition: Time toning, but an excellent impression with full margins.