|Method||Copper engraving with hand colouring|
|Artist||Joseph Skelton after Wenceslaus Hollar|
|Published||Published as the Act Directs Decr. 1. 1817 by J. Skelton, St. Aldates, Oxford.|
|Dimensions||Image 230 x 180 mm, Sheet 276 x 215 mm|
A view of the ruins of Osney Abbey in Oxford, from 'Oxonia Antiqua Restaurata' by Joseph Skelton. Skelton began publishing parts of this work from 1818 but it was not completed until 1820 and only fully published three years later in 1823.
Joseph Skelton (1781 - 1850) was an English engraver of topographical and antiquarian subjects. He is best-known for his plates in 'Oxonia Antiqua Illustrata' (1823), 'Engraved Illustrations of Antiente Arms and Armour from the Collection at Goodrich Court from the Drawings, and with the Descriptions of Dr. Meyrick' (1830) (2 vols), and Girault's 'Les Beautes de la France' (1850). He settled in France in the latter part of his life and was elected FSA in 1844. His brother William Skelton was also an engraver.
Wenceslaus Hollar (1607-1677) left his native Prague in 1627. He spent several years travelling and working in Germany before his patron, the Earl of Arundel, brought him to London in 1636. During the civil wars, Hollar fought on the Royalist side, after which he spent the years 1644-52 in Antwerp. Hollar's views of London form an important record of the city before the Great Fire of 1666. He was prolific and engraved a wide range of subjects, producing nearly 2,800 prints, numerous watercolours, and many drawings.
Condition: Sheet trimmed.