|Dimensions||Image 325 x 445 mm, Sheet 460 x 555 mm|
Two fine prospects of the city, one from the East and the other 'from the South near the Abbington Road', from the first edition of David Loggan's 'Oxonia Illustrata' published in 1675. Both prospects have gentle country scenes in the foreground and a numbered key to the major buildings of the city behind. St. Thomas', St. Clement's and St. Giles' churches all appear to be part of the countryside in these beautifully engraved views of the city in the seventeenth century.
Oxonia Illustrata was the first illustrated book on Oxford and one of the major works of the 17th century. The book was the product of several years of devoted and conscientious effort in which Loggan was assisted by his pupil Robert White. David Loggan was born in Danzig in 1635 and came to England around 1653. By 1665 he was living in Nuffield near Oxford and in 1669 was appointed engraver to the University. In 1675 he married and became a naturalised citizen. His Oxonia Illustrata was intended as a companion work to Historia Antiquitates Universitatis Oxoniensis by Anthony Woods, with whom Loggan had become acquainted some years earlier.
Condition: Trimmed to image and laid to album sheet. Pressed vertical centre fold as issued. Time toning to central fold. Two repaired tears to top margin of album sheet, not affecting image.