|Artist||van der Aa, Pieter after Loggan, David|
|Dimensions||125 x 156 mm|
A map of Oxford, with the arms of the Town and University below, from James Beverell's 'Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande'.
Inscription reads: '1. Baliol College. 2. Exeter College. 3. Queens College. 4. Lincoln College. 5. Magdalen College. 6. Corpus Christi College. 7. Trinity College. 8. Jesus College. 9. Pembrock College. 10. Hart Hall. 11. St Mary Hall. 12. Magdalen Hall. 13. The Publick Schools. 14. University College. 15. Merton College. 16. Oriell College. 17. New College. 18. All Soules College. 19. Brazen nose College. 20. Christ Church College. 21. St. Johns College. 22. Wadham College. 23. Alban Hall. 24. Edmund Hall. 25. New Inn. 26. Glocester Hall. 27. The Publick Library. 18. The Physick Garden. 29. St Maries Church. 30. Allhallowes. 31. St Ebbs. 32. St Michaels. 33. St Peters in the East. 34. Holywell. 35 St Thomas. 36. Bocardo and North gate. 37. Friar Bacons Study. 38. The Gray Friers. 39. The Theater. 40. Christ Church Almshous. 41. Carfax. 42. St Aldats. 43. St Peters in the Bayly. 44. St Magdalin. 45. St Clements. 46. St Giles. 47. The Town Hall. 48. The East Gate. 49. Paradise Garden. 50. The Ruins of the Fortification. 51. The Bowling Green.'
First published in 1707, Beverell's 'Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande' was an eight volume series depicting a variety of views from across the United Kingdom, including those of royal palaces, stately homes, cathedrals, and naval towns. Two volumes were dedicated solely to Oxford and Cambridge, consisting of plates of the colleges that were copied and reduced directly from David Loggan's 'Oxonia Illustrata' of 1675. In total, 'Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande' comprised of 241 engraved plates and maps after David Loggan, Johannes Kip, John Selzer, and others. Despite the publication ultimately being a collection of reduced copies of other engravers' work, 'Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande' is a fine example of early eighteenth-century printmaking.
Pieter van der Aa (1659 – 1733) was a Dutch publisher, best known for preparing maps and atlases. Despite producing his own work, van der Aa is also known for his production of pirated editions of illustrated publications and foreign bestsellers. Beginning his career as a Latin trade publisher in Lieden in 1683, van der Aa's ambition was to one day become the most famous printer in the city. In 1715, van der Aa was appointed the head printer for Leiden and its university.
David Loggan (1635–1692) was born in Danzig in 1635 and came to England around 1653. By 1665 he was living in Nuffield near Oxford and in 1669 was appointed engraver to the University. In 1675 he married and became a naturalised citizen. His Oxonia Illustrata was intended as a companion work to 'Historia Antiquitates Universitatis Oxoniensis' by Anthony Woods, with whom Loggan had become acquainted some years earlier.
Condition: In excellent condition, not folded, page number in manuscript in upper right corner.