|Method||Copper engraved with hand colour|
|Artist||Roper, John after Cole, G.|
|Published||Engraved by J. Roper, from a drawing by G. Cole. Drawn and Engraved under the direction of E.W. Brayley. London, Published for the Proprietors by Vernor Hood & Sharpe, Poultry Feby. 1 1808|
|Dimensions||180 x 230 mm|
A detailed map of the city of Oxford, from 'The Beauties of England & Wales'. The map shows the extent of the city at the beginning of the nineteenth century, from St Giles in the north to Folly Bridge in the south, and from St Thomas Church, Botley to St Clements. A key in the top right corner lists the colleges and halls of the University. The map is further embellished by a vignette of 'Oxford from the London Road by Henley' engraved by Storer, and a trio of crests showing the Arms of the City, University, and Bishopric.
John Roper (1771-c.1810) was an English engraver known to have worked from several locations in London. He engraved the maps, drawn by G.Cole, to accompany Edward W. Brayley and John Britton's partwork entitled "Beauties of England Wales". This work was published in 18 volumes between c.1804 and 1810, which was published as "The British Atlas" in 1810 by Verner, Hood and Sharpe. Roper's maps were also re-issued to illustrate the Reverend J Nightingale's "English Topography" of 1816 (and other later editions), published by Baldwin, Craddock and Joy - another publishing partnership of the nineteenth century.
Condition: Time toning to edges of sheet. Binders creases and chips to bottom margin, not affecting map. Blank on verso.