|Artist||Pieter van der Aa after David Loggan|
|Dimensions||Image 122 x 153 mm, Sheet 157 x 189 mm|
A view of Pembroke College from James Beverell's 'Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande'.
Inscription reads: 'A. La Chapele. B. La Nef. C. La Bibliotheque. D. Escalier à vis par où on y monte. E. Le Clocher. F. Le Refectoire. G. Le Logement du Principal.'
First published in 1707, Beverell's 'Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande' was an eight volume series depicting a variety of views from across the United Kingdom, including those of royal palaces, stately homes, cathedrals, and naval towns. Two volumes were dedicated solely to Oxford and Cambridge, consisting of plates of the colleges that were copied and reduced directly from David Loggan's 'Oxonia Illustrata' of 1675. In total, 'Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande' comprised of 241 engraved plates and maps after David Loggan, Johannes Kip, John Selzer, and others. Despite the publication ultimately being a collection of reduced copies of other engravers' work, 'Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne et de L'Irlande' is a fine example of early eighteenth-century printmaking.
Pieter van der Aa (1659 – 1733) was a Dutch publisher, best known for preparing maps and atlases. Despite producing his own work, van der Aa is also known for his production of pirated editions of illustrated publications and foreign bestsellers. Beginning his career as a Latin trade publisher in Leiden in 1683, van der Aa's ambition was to one day become the most famous printer in the city. In 1715, van der Aa was appointed the head printer for Leiden and its university.
David Loggan (1635-1692), artist and engraver, was born at Danzig in 1635. He may have learnt the art of engraving from Simon van den Passe in Denmark and from Hendrik Hondius in the Netherlands. Loggan followed Hondius's sons to England in about 1653, and by 1665 he was residing at Nuffield, near Oxford, and had made the acquaintance of the antiquarian Anthony Wood. On 30 March 1669 he was appointed Engraver to the University of Oxford, with an annual salary of twenty shillings. He married a daughter of Robert Jordan, Esq. of Kencote Hall in Oxfordshire in 1671, and in 1672 they had a son, John Loggan, who later graduated from Trinity College. The marriage probably produced another son, William Loggan, about whom little is known except that he was responsible for a satirical print of Father Peters and the Jesuits, published in 1681. David Loggan took up residence in Holywell in about 1671, prior to matriculating at the University. In 1675 he was naturalised as an Englishman. The remainder of his life was spent mostly in London, where he worked as an agent and art dealer, and as Engraver to the University of Cambridge, a position he attained in 1690, two years before his death. Loggan's two great works were a series of architectural bird's eye plans of the colleges and public buildings of Oxford and Cambridge, the Oxonia Illustrata, published in 1675, and its rarer sister Cantabrigia Illustrata, which appeared at some point previous to 1690. Following Loggan's death, the plates were acquired and reprinted by Henry Overton in 1705 and c.1710 respectively.
Oxonia Illustrata was the first illustrated book on Oxford and one of the major works of the 17th century. The book was the product of several years of devoted and conscientious effort in which Loggan was assisted by his pupil Robert White. The Oxonia Illustrata was intended as a companion work to Historia Antiquitates Universitatis Oxoniensis by Anthony Wood, with whom Loggan had become acquainted some years earlier. Although clearly intended as companions, with pagination suggesting that they were even parts of the same volume, for some unknown reason both books were published independently.
Condition: In excellent condition, not folded, page number in manuscript in upper right corner..