|Method||Steel engraved with original hand colour|
|Artist||Walker, John and Charles after Creighton, R.|
|Published||Drawn by R. Creighton. Engraved by J. & C. Walker. Drawn and Engraved for Lewis' Topographical Dictionary [c.1840]|
|Dimensions||235 x 180 mm|
A detailed map of the Isle of Man, with original outline colour for each Sheading, from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary.
John Walker (fl. 1813-1873) and Charles Walker (1799-1872) were British cartographers, geographers, and map engravers, and the sons of the engraver and Admiralty hydrographer, John Walker (fl. 1783-1831). John, the better known of the two sons, was a founding member of the Royal Geographic Society. A third brother, Thomas (fl. 1805-1865), succeeded his father as a hydrographer to the Admiralty.
Samuel Lewis was the editor and publisher of topographical dictionaries and maps of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. The aim of the texts was to give in 'a condensed form', a faithful and impartial description of each place. The firm of Samuel Lewis and Co. was based in London. Samuel Lewis the elder died in 1865. His son of the same name predeceased him in 1862. A Topographical Dictionary of England contains every fact of importance tending to illustrate the local history of England. Arranged alphabetically by place (village, parish, town, etc.), it provides a faithful description of all English localities as they existed at the time of first publication (1831), showing exactly where a particular civil parish was located in relation to the nearest town or towns, the barony, county, and province in which it was situated, its principal landowners, the diocese in which it was situated, and-of great importance-the Roman Catholic district in which the parish was located and the names of corresponding Catholic parishes. There were six subsequent editions, the last of which (1848-9) was in four volumes and an atlas.
Condition: Minor time toning to right margin.