|Method||Lithograph with hand colour|
|Artist||Maberly Smith, K|
|Dimensions||305 x 440 mm|
A rare twentieth century pictorial map of Henley-on- Thames and its environs. The town is clearly illustrated with St Mary's Church, "The Speakers House" and The Angel on the Bridge pub amongst other early buildings. The surrounding countryside from Greys Court in the west to Marlow in the east is littered with illustrations of local landmarks and points of interest including "Nell Gwyns Bower, Soundess House", the "Secene of the Notorious Hell Fire Club 1755" and the "Ghost of Lady Hoby" at Bisham Abbey. The Thames snakes its way across the bottom of the map, featuring the bridges, locks, and islands. A compass rose sits in the bottom right corner and to the top right a decorative title cartouche, featuring crests and the figures of Neptune and Ceres, illustrative of the Thames and the agriculture of the region.
Condition: Laid to board, sheet toned with occasional spotting and staining.