|Artist||T. Picken & G. Scharf after W. A. Delamotte|
|Published||Published by J & R Dewe, Broad Street, Oxford; and Sold by R.Ackermann, Eclipse Sporting Gallery. 191 Regent St.; and T. McLean, 26 Haymarket, London. [c.1839]|
|Dimensions||Image 194 x 302 mm|
£240 for the pair.
Thomas Picken was a British lithographer and painter active between 1838 and 1870. Originally based in London, he spent his later years in Australia.
George Scharf (1788 - 1860) was a German watercolourist, lithographer, and occasional publisher of his own work. Born in Germany, Scharf worked in Munich before travelling to England with the British Army in 1816. He exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1817, 1826, 1828-37, 1841, and 1848 - 50. He was also a member of the New Watercolour Society. He worked for the British Museum, the Geological Society, the Zoological Society and Charles Robert Cockerell. He was the father of the art critic and director of the National Portrait Gallery, Sir George Scharf (1820 - 1895).
William Alfred Delamotte (1775 - 1863) was a British draughtsman on wood and water colourist. He entered the Royal Academy Schools in 1794 and trained under Benjamin West. Delamotte moved to Oxford where he did numerous works depicting the city. In 1803, Delamotte became the drawing master at the newly established Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst where he remained for 40 years. Delamotte was also known for publishing his own prints.
John & Richard Dewe was a stationer's, booksellers and public library based at 16 Broad Street, Oxford, between 1839 amd 1846. Mrs Dewe also ran a milinary and dressmaking shop from the same address. The business was continued between 1846 and 1852 by Elizabeth Dewe.
The Royal Agricultural Society of England was established in the United Kingdom in 1838. Its motto was "Practice with Science", and its aim was to promote the scientific development of agriculture. The society received its Royal Charter from Queen Victoria in 1840. Since its establishment, the society has held regular Royal Shows in England. Venues have included Park Royal, in northwest London and Stoneleigh Park in Warwickshire.1
Boalch 194, 195