|Method||Copper engraving with hand colouring|
|Published||Published as the Act directs, Jany. 1st. 1823 by J. Skelton, Magdalen Bridge, Oxford.|
|Dimensions||Image 190 x 260 mm, Sheet 210 x 275 mm|
A view of Oxford from the East, from 'Oxonia Antiqua Restaurata' by Joseph Skelton. He began publishing parts of this work from 1818 but it was not completed until 1820 and only fully published three years later in 1823. Below the image are depicted three 'Specimens of Coins &c. preserved in the Bodleian Library,' now in the Coins and Medals Department of the Ashmolean Museum.
Joseph Skelton (1781 - 1850) was an English engraver of topographical and antiquarian subjects. He is best-known for his plates in 'Oxonia Antiqua Illustrata' (1823), 'Engraved Illustrations of Antiente Arms and Armour from the Collection at Goodrich Court from the Drawings, and with the Descriptions of Dr. Meyrick' (1830) (2 vols), and Girault's 'Les Beautes de la France' (1850). He settled in France in the latter part of his life and was elected FSA in 1844. His brother William Skelton was also an engraver.