|Method||Copper engraving with hand colouring|
|Artist||Joseph Skelton after Michael Angelo Rooker|
|Published||Published as the Act directs Augt. 1, 1818, by J. Skelton, St. Aldates, Oxford|
|Dimensions||Image 183 x 244 mm|
A reduced version of the Oxford Almanac for the Year 1788, from 'Oxonia Antiqua Restaurata' by Joseph Skelton. He began publishing parts of this work from 1818 but it was not completed until 1820 and only fully published three years later in 1823.
Joseph Skelton (1781 - 1850) was an English engraver of topographical and antiquarian subjects. He is best-known for his plates in 'Oxonia Antiqua Illustrata' (1823), 'Engraved Illustrations of Antiente Arms and Armour from the Collection at Goodrich Court from the Drawings, and with the Descriptions of Dr. Meyrick' (1830) (2 vols), and Girault's 'Les Beautes de la France' (1850). He settled in France in the latter part of his life and was elected FSA in 1844. His brother William Skelton was also an engraver.
Michael Angelo Rooker (1746 - 1801) was a British painter and engraver. He was taught by his father Edward Rooker and Paul Sandby at the St. Martin's Lane school in London. In 1770 he was elected an associate of the Royal Academy. He is best known for providing engravings for the Copperplate Magazine (1776 - 1777), its successor The Virtuosi's Museum, and the Oxford Almanack. Rooker was also chief scene-painter at the Haymarket Theatre in London. J. M. W. Turner claimed to have learnt the painting technique 'colour scaling' by copying Rooker's Gatehouse at Battle Abbey. After Rooker's death, Turner purchased over a dozen of his paintings.