|Artist||Francesco Bartolozzi after Thomas Hearne|
|Published||London Pub. April 30 1795 by J. Thane, Spur Street, Leicester Square, London Published by C. Taylor No. 10 near Castle Street Holborn Augst 1. 1785|
|Dimensions||1: Image 95 x 75 mm, Sheet 128 x 103 mm, 2: Image 110 x 85 mm, Sheet 167 x 100 mm|
Album page with two window mounted engravings. The first an etching of the artist and the second a stipple engraving of his grave. Both have William Bell Scott's library stamp on verso.
William Woollett (1735 – 1785) was an English engraver. He was born at Maidstone and was originally of Dutch descent. He was apprenticed to John Tinney and studied in the St Martin's Lane academy. In 1775 he was appointed engraver-in-ordinary to George III; and he was a member of the Incorporated Society of Artists, of which for several years he acted as secretary.
Francesco Bartolozzi (1727-1815) was an Italian engraver. The son of a goldsmith, Bartolozzi studied painting in Florence, trained as an engraver in Venice and began his career in Rome. In 1763 Richard Dalton, art dealer and librarian to George III, met him and invited him to London, promising him a post as engraver to the king. Bartolozzi moved to London the following year, and remained for thirty-five years. He executed numerous engravings for the king. He also made many engravings of paintings by Italian masters and by his friend, the painter Giovanni Cipriani. In 1768 Bartolozzi was the only engraver to become a founder member of the Royal Academy of Arts. He moved to Lisbon in 1802 as director of the National Academy.
Thomas Hearne (1744 – 1817) was an English landscape painter, engraver and illustrator. He was awarded a premium by the Society of Arts in 1763. In 1765 he was apprenticed to Liam Woollett, the engraver, with whom he stayed for six years. In 1777, in conjunction with engraver William Byrne (1743–1805), he commenced the most important undertaking of his life; The Antiquities of Great Britain. Hearne's art influenced Thomas Girtin and J M W Turner, both of whom copied his drawings at the houses of Dr. Thomas Monro and John Henderson Snr., the well-known patrons of the arts at the time. From 1781 to 1802 Hearne exhibited drawings of landscape and antiquarian remains at the Royal Academy, London. He was a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.
Ex. Col.: William Bell Scott, Ex. Col.: Hon. Christopher Lennox-Boyd