|Published||Printed for Henry Parker in Cornhil, Robert Sayerin Fleet Street, John Bowles in Cornhil, Carington Bowles in St. Pauls Church Yard, and John Boydell in Cheapside. [n.d. 1760]|
|Dimensions||Image 330 x 510 mm, Plate 375 x 550 mm, Sheet 440 x 602 mm|
A fine eighteenth century view of the garden at Carlton House looking down the central path at a Palladian temple at the end with a small pond, sculpted hedges, ponds, and busts on plinths line the path, with gardeners working in the garden.
Originally built for the Henry Boyle, Baron Carlton, the mansion was located in Pall Mal with its gardens backing onto St. James's Park. The Prince Regent used Carlton House as his town residence for several decades after he bought it from Lord Burlington in 1732. It was at this point that William Kent laid out the garden depicted here. The house was demolished in 1825-27 to make way for John Nash's ceremonial route from St. James's to Regenet's Park and replaced with two large rendered houses known as Carlton Terrace.
William Woollett (15 August 1735 – 23 May 1785) was an English engraver born to a Dutch family in Maidstone, Kent. He was the most famous British engraver of his day, and was the secretary of the Incorporated Society of Artists between 1766 and 1773. In 1775, he was appointed engraver in ordinary to George III.
Fagan 33 iii/iii, Crace 1878 XI.73
Condition: Some overall time toning and light surface dirt, staining on verso not affecting the recto.