Click on image to enlarge
enquire about this item
|Date||Photographed by Mowbray, 2, Corn Market Steet, Oxford.[n.d. c. 1865]|
|Size||Image 67 x 127 mm|
|Notes||A stereoview of the Oxford skyline taken from a roof near Carfax looking across towards the Radcliffe Camera, the Bodliean, New College and All Souls. |
Alfred R. Mowbray was a photographer and bookseller who operated from No. 2 Cornmarket Street, Oxford c. 1859-1867. A R Mowbray and Co
Founded in Oxford in 1858 by Alfred R Mowbray (1824-75) as religious booksellers and suppliers of ecclesiastical fittings and perquisites of all kinds (including glass), the firm's works and shop were there. A London branch, opened in 1873, was for many years in Margaret Street. Their work continued almost unchanged well into the 20th Century, as a catalogue of their wares of 1926 shows and they supplied mainly churches of an Anglo-Catholic persuasion. The ecclesiastical fittings business was taken over by J Wippell and Co in the 1970s, but the name survives as a separate entity for religious works within Hatchard's bookshop in Piccadilly, like Mowbray's now part of the Waterstones chain. In later years they did not design the goods they sold, but commissioned others, though few can be credited to a name. Among designers of glass they used A L Ward.