Click on image to enlarge
enquire about this item
|Artist||van den Keere, Pieter|
|Medium||Copper engraved with hand colour|
|Size||85 x 122 mm|
|Notes||Pieter van den Keere came to England in 1584, as a Protestant refugee from his home town of Ghent with his sister Colette, who married Jodocus H ondius, in 1587. It was probably from Hondius that Keere learned to engrave. Both engravers left London in 1593 to settle in Amsterdam.|
Keere began to engrave a series of miniature maps in 1599 in preperation for a small atlas of the British Isles. The maps were first published in 1617 by William Blaeu with plate numbers and Latin text. They then passed to George Humble, who publised them in 1619 and then again in 1627.